Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Too old to learn new tricks, too dumb to stop trying

Another year goes by and I still have a vague idea of "going back to school" and no idea what I want to do. At what point does it stop being "cute"? (As if it were ever.)

Because I could think of nothing else, I am taking more Russian. I've written very little on Arkhangelsk, but perhaps this will inspire me once again.

To be fair, I was a little busy last year (while writing papers and presentations for Russian Culture) with creating the user interface for our new website, creating a user guide, style guide, training manual, and testing scripts, flying to Singapore to conduct user acceptance testing and content manager training with the Asia Pacific group, and then (oh, did I forget to mention this?) spending a month in St. Petersburg (yeah, that St. Petersburg) studying Russian.

Then there was Jack being laid off when I got back from Russia in July, my boss up and quiting in October, eleventh-hour activism to help return sanity to Congress, and the utter languishment of our website launch due to a third, and then fourth CEO replacement. (Meet the new boss: same as the old boss. Or maybe not. The new boss lives in Minneapolis and seems to have forgotten Chris and I exist.) And that Christmas thing. Okay, so I'm making excuses.

But today I re-reapplied at City College, spoke with my Russian Culture teacher (who sponsored the Summer in St. Petersburg), and will be taking her second-semester Practical Spoken Russian class on Wednesday nights.

Perhaps I will even get back to doing yoga. Perhaps monkeys will fly out of my butt. (Hopefully not during yoga.)

In the random category: Dumbass shit that sticks with me all year? Not realizing "Camus" was the spelling of the French philospher and thinking it was pronounced "came-us," and referring to Sasha Baron Cohen as Ali G, even though I knew that was a character and not his name. Why does this sort of thing haunt me? I don't know. But it makes me feel abysmally stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment